I'm Harshad Sharma. I make software, photographs and assorted things with electronics. Sometimes I write. Natural life and artificial intelligence both fascinate me as much as how systems, people and organisms communicate.
Since 2016 I am working on Zentropi, which is a framework for building seamless personal and office automation for yourself or your organization. It is built to use off-the-shelf DIY electronics components and easy-to-integrate mental models that wrap around every API, exposing the myriad ways of communication as a single interface.
Zentropi further tries to minimize the cognitive load when interacting with embedded devices, online services, mobile or desktop applications and machine learning APIs - customers can choose some or all of these features to create their own Zentropian systems. It embraces a limited vocabulary to welcome non-native English speakers and adheres to obvious naming conventions within the source code and in library API. It is expected to be a small-ish shop run with minimal waste and few people. At the moment I am working alone on Zentropi.
Stumbled upon long lost love for science papers while researching for the core principles that make sense to build Zentropi. The software will be accompanied by a philosophy based on recent studies that help build an ever more accurate mental model of the world we interact with and inhabit.
From 2011 to 2016, co-founded Instamojo with Sampad Swain, Akash Gehani, Aditya Sengupta and Sidharth - the company is growing and helping many small shops, merchants and individuals make and receive payments with ease.
During 2009-2011, pursued photography as a profession and conducted several seminars and workshops on photography independently as well as at institutes including:
- MahaBank Self-Employment Training Institute, Pune
- Harkisan Mehta Foundation's Institute for Journalism, Mumbai
- Tata Institute for Social Sciences, Tuljapur
- Institute for Social Work and Research, Ahmednagar
In 2008, co-founded oCricket with Brajeshwar Oinam and Baishampayan Ghose, my role was limited here but this opportunity helped me see what else is involved in building a startup beyond simply writing code.
During 2004-2008 I Was exploring photography as a hobby alongside learning programming and doing web-development for small organizations and individuals. For a few months in 2006 I worked at a BPO as providing technical support over phone to small-office and home-office customers. Held three photography exhibitions of photographs of monuments in and around Ahmednagar.
In 2003, co-founded FriendzOnline.com with Baljot Singh Ranu, Joydeep Sengupta, Salim Khan and Tanmoy Chakraborty. The site lasted merely months but was the first stepping stone for my interests in building businesses out of code.
- Interview with YourStory
- Interview with CrazyEngineers
- Interview with Pensible
- MediaNama on Instamojo
- Entrepreneur on Instamojo
- Next Big What on Instamojo
- Forbes India on Instamojo
- VCCircle on Instamojo
- MoneyControl on Instamojo
- Huffington Post on Sampad Swain / Instamojo
- Open Magazine on Sampad Swain / Instamojo
- Photo credit in Outlook Traveller
- DNA India mentioned my admiration for Indian Classical music
- Payaniga featured a guest travelogue
- IFC credited my CC licensed photographs
- Indiana Public Media credited my CC licensed photographs
- DownToEarth.org credited my CC licensed photographs
- YourStory quoted me on TRAI's mishandling of emails